Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Know your customer data before they call

Today I made a call to Dell attempting to replace a dead laptop battery. The warranty for the laptop has expired a month ago (bummer), but I still hoped to talk to a representative regarding a possibility of replacing a battery. Since we are focusing on usability here, I was quite impressed with a simple technology of using caller ID to connect to a customer data purchase data.

The laptop was the only piece of equipment that had a cell phone provided to Dell. That means, instead of requesting to provide a service tag number for a laptop, Dell can potentially know all the assets that I purchased from them at the moment I make a phone call.

And they do.

Unfortunately for me, a pleasant automated voice, without even asking any service numbers, informed me that my laptop was out of warranty and the only way to get support was to purchase a support call. No, I know the battery does not hold the charge and I don’t need to spend money on a support call to confirm that I need to replace a battery.

But the usability of not even needing to enter a phone number makes it a pleasant experience. More companies need to utilize such a simple technology as caller ID.

No comments:

Post a Comment